Yamaha BD-S477 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player
The Yamaha BD-S477 Blu-ray player is unique in that it works with Miracast, letting you connect any Miracast-compatible smartphone or tablet to the player to mirror videos and photos on your television. I don’t know a ton of people doing this on a regular basis, but the feature is important if you don’t have other solutions like a Smart TV or an AppleTV. Coupled with one of Yamaha’s AV receivers, you can use the feature to watch any number of program material via mirrored display.
Yamaha BD-S477 Features and Capabilities
The Yamaha BD-S477 has built-in WiFi, so you can connect to any network (even a wired one using the Ethernet port on the back) and access the network features like Picasa and DLNA streaming. Aside from the Miracast functionality, you can also use the AV Controller App to control the playback and media form your smartphone or tablet (iOS or Android).
As for video, the Blu-ray player will output 1080p via the single HDMI output with video noise reduction. Audio is the expected HD Audio via bitstream output (including high resolution 192kHz/24bit FLAC and ALAC audio). The player will play back the standard formats (CD, DVD, Blu-ray) as well as MKV (H.264), MPEG PS, MPEG TS, MPEG-4, VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, and AVCHD. Audio support includes MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and ALAC. You can also play back JPEG slideshows with an MP3 audio soundtrack.
Yamaha BD-S477 Blu-ray Setup and Use
Yamaha included an easy setup wizard for initial configuration and there is an automatic wireless setup using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup). You can upgrade the software via WiFi, Ethernet, or USB. Using a Yamaha receiver can power on and initiate playback using one of the four Yamaha AV Receiver SCENE buttons if you have a compatible system and HDMI CEC. finally, control over the Yamaha BD-S477 is made even easier using the Yamaha Control App via Android or iOS device.
- iPhone/iPad, Android phone/tablet app control
- Picasa compatibility for viewing digital photos
- Playback DLNA server (PC or NAS) contents
- Software update capability via network
- 1080p/24Hz-compatible HDMI video output
- Video noise reduction feature
- 1080p playback for DVDs, photos and home movies
- HD Audio format bitstream out
- Direct bitstream and multi-channel Linear PCM output via HDMI
- High resolution audio 192kHz/24bit FLAC, ALAC file playback compatibility
- USB playback support
- Video suport: MKV with H.264, MPEG PS, MPEG TS, MPEG-4, VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, AVCHD
- Audio support: MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, ALAC
- Playback of JPEG slideshows with MP3 audio sound track
- Setup Wizard
- WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)
- Software upgrade via network or USB
The new Blu-ray player is already available in Europe, but hits the US market this month.